Monday, March 31, 2008

I have the kind of Bible where things fall out of it a lot.

This past summer was the most amazing yet one of the hardest I have been through. I worked as a summer staffer at an YoungLife camp and between doing my job as a baker and helping out with the other camp activities I was worn out and beaten down and wondering why I had even chose to come. Oh, not to mention I was also recovering from having gall bladder surgery two weeks before I had to be at camp. I remember one day was really hard and I was really struggling... when I am psychically tried it seems like I get spiritually tried too and I tend to blow things out of proration. It was that night when I stumbled upon these words that Paul had written to the Hebrews and they really got me through the rest of the month at camp and kinda turn it around for me.


"Think about all He endured when sinful people did such terrible things to Him, so that you don't become weary and give up. After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin" Hebrews 12:3-4 (NLT)

Powerful words. I found where I had written those words on a note card in my Bible tonight (yeah I'm kinda getting back into the habit of reading it) and I found that I still need the same reminder that I did when I was at camp. It's sad that I forget sometimes what Christ went through just so I could be saved. When I stop and think about when He went through it just blows my mind to the point of tears. I mean Jesus was beaten to the verge of death and then made to march to His death carrying the very thing He would be killed on and then nailed to a cross... nailed. Oh and He wasn't wearing any clothing. For some reason when I found out Jesus died naked it added something new to His death and I don't really know why other than it added more shame. Anyways this all was done so I don't become weary and give up.

That all happened for me. Me. For me of all people. I fully believe that it happened for me (and you). It happened so I wouldn't give up. The first time I read those words I cried, don't worry it was a good cry. The kind of cry that refreshes the soul and gives a new outlook on life. I started repeating that verse when I started growing weary and wanting to give up. I think I need to start doing repeating again.

No comments: